We're all busy, and staying organised is a daily challenge. The perfect compendium can do wonders for your organisation and effectiveness at work or on the road, and in turn your general happiness. As busy business operators ourselves we scoped out the 5 best compendiums out there for those of us with a discerning design eye - no faux leather ring binders here. Not an easy task, but here's our pick for the top 5 compendiums on the market.
1. The Bellroy Work Folio (A4 & A5) · Fitzroy, Australia. $249-$379AUD.
The leader in style and function crammed into an elegant and modern design. With their industry leading 3 year warranty, impeccable build quality and streamlined aesthetics this is a no brainer. Sitting in the upper middle of the price bracket, it won't entirely break the bank either, considering you'll have this forever.
An Australia designed product, plus Bellroy are a Certified b Corp, we're huge fans of everything they do, and their Compendium is truly their flagship item.
- Fits A4 or A5 size notepad, notebook, paper notebooks
- Choice of black, caramel or navy leather
- A4 Compendium dimensions: 330 x 250 x 20mm
- A5 Compendium dimensions: 230 x 170 x 20mm
- Pen holder
- Pockets for your phone, tablet and up to 6 cards
- Premium, environmentally certified leather
- Backed by the Bellroy 3 year warranty
- The leathers Bellroy use are premium hides tanned under gold-rated Leather Working Group environmental protocols, then dyed through so they age gracefully. The woven fabrics used are sustainably produced and chosen for their durability and lightweight performance.
2. This Is Ground 'Mod' · Los Angeles, USA. From $379AUD.
At the luxury end of the spectrum, the This Is Ground range out of LA simply can't be beaten in terms of customisation. The way it works is you buy a Folio cover of your chosen size and colour, and then purchase additional modular inserts to build your perfect compendium.
Definitely sitting at the high end of the price scale, but you get excellent quality and a compendium that'll last forever and is tailored exactly to your needs.
- Fit the iPad 10.5 + fits most tablets
- 9 pockets for tablet, phone, cards, and currency
- 6 slots for cords, pens, pencils, earphones/AirPods
- Fits 3.5x5.5 inch + 5x8 inch notebooks
- Magnetic dock for interchangeable Inserts
- Tuscan veg-tanned leather
- Designed in Los Angeles
- Made in Italy
- Smooth Italian crafted zippers
3. Gallantoro Compendium · Sydney, Australia. From $399AUD.
All the finest materials, designed and made in Australia (!!) this is one of our faves. Gallantoro have used really beautiful Italian leather and Italian zipper hardware, and the compendium also includes a full years diary which can be taken in and out.
- Comes in a white gift box (makes a great gift!)
- 3 year warranty
- Made by hand in Australia
- 100% Italian leather
- Passport + boarding pass sleeve
- Clip for cables/headphones
- Clip for keys
- Phone sleeve
- 2 card slots
- Pen sleeve
- High quality Italian zippers
- A5 day to a page year diary included (2019)
- Designed to fit 11" iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Mini, Microsoft Surface Go, Lenovo Tabs, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Laser 10" and any tablet of a lesser size Dimensions: 200mm wide and 285mm high
4. Poketo Minimalist Folio · Los Angeles, USA. From $85AUD.
Slim and about as minimal as you can get, this Cali brand create their Minimalist Folios in various size, which is great as not everyone wants or needs to carry a large laptop around all day. In fashion forward unisex colourways, these are as at home at the local cafe as the boardroom, classroom or design studio.
The price is the lowest in our top 5, and these Folios manage to pack in features like card and phone pockets without features that bulk up the size, like zips.
- Available in Small - 16.5x12.1cm, Medium - 23.5x17.8 cm, Large - 34.2x25.4cm (13 inch laptops) and Extra Large - 34.3x29.5cm (15 inch laptops.
- Supple vegan leather
- Magnetic closure
- Pocket for notebook and papers
- Phone Pocket to fit up to iPhone Plus
- Card Holder
- Extra Pocket Slots
5. Moore & Giles Portfolio · Italy. From $325AUD.
If you need something a little more streamlined, even a little more corporate for lack of a better term, the sophistication of the Portfolio by Moore & Giles is a great bet. High quality and fits a legal pad perfectly, so it definitely a little more on the professional end of the spectrum of our picks.
Moore & Giles are ostensibly a leather company, but also offer some beautiful accessories under their own name. Plus, they ship to Australia.
- Holds standard-sized legal pad (included)
- Side pocket for additional paper
- Business card pocket
- Tuscan leather